Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 3 - Traveling (still!)

I told you all last night that I would post pictures from our AMAZING hotel.  So here ya go!

I'd like one to go please!  If you could set it up in my bedroom at home that would be great...thanks :)
I'll take a similar sink/bathrom as well!

Beautiful mirror!
Okay, so this morning was one of those mornings when I DID NOT WANNA GET OUTTA BED!  I did everything I could to stay in the warm sheets.  Eventually I got up, got Eli changed and dressed, and got ready for the day.  We headed out around 10:00.  Dad started off driving this morning, it was a nice change of pace.  We went just down the road to grab a few things at Rite-Aid.  Dad saw a McDonalds right across the road, so we had "breakfast" there.  The reason I put breakfast in quotes is b/c it really wasn't breakfast, they only had their lunch menu up.  After we were done eatting we headed on out!  We started out on Highway 40.  We chose that way because we knew it was a "scenic" route.  The first part was so beautiful.  We saw tons of trees, lush green grass, and huge lakes/rivers.  Highway 40 turned into Highway 64 as we entered North Carolina.  (remember the funny city names from yesterday's blog?  well todays funny name...Ducktown!)  The drive through Cherokee National Forest was gorgeous.

This lake seemed to go on for forever!

Its such a hard life ;)

These lilies were everywhere! (my fave. flower...I was in heaven!)

All smiles at the rest stop.

 When we started out today we thought that the majority of the roads were straight...at least that's what the map says.  Let me just tell you...the map was WRONG.  We spent hour upon hour driving and stopping, trying to figure out where to go and if we really were on the right road. :)  Highway 64 kinda turned into Highway 74 and that took us all the way through Asheville, North Carolina.  Dad had looked up a little guitar place he wanted to stop at.  It happened to be on the way we were headed, so we decided to stop.  We went ahead and took 74 alternate to a little town called Fairview.  I went ahead and put the address of the shop in the GPS.  After going a few miles off of the main road we were getting kind of concerned.  We decided to keep going, until we turned onto a tiny road and the GPS said "take the next right onto Witch Hazel Drive"  Yeah...Witch Hazel Drive turned out to be a gravel road.  WHAT THE HECK!?  Yeah...we turned around and got back on the main road.  A few miles down the road from Fairview was a sign that said "Eastern Continental Divide"  We stopped there and took a few pictures.  Eli was in the car, waiting patiently. :)


We also stopped in a little touristy town called Chimney Rock.  It was probably the most beautiful area we drove through so far.  Toward the end of the town we looked up and saw what was "Chimney Rock."  I think the best part of seeing the rock was the American flag posted on it! :)

We stayed on ALT 74 until it met up with Highway 74...well, almost.  We kinda got turned around because on sign it said "Business 74, ALT 74, Highway 74"  again...WHAT THE HECK!?  LOL  We had another WHAT THE HECK!? moment when I was getting on the freeway, we saw a sign that said "WRONG WAY"  excuse me?  I'm pretty sure this is the on ramp...

Once we got on the right road and actually going the right way, we headed through Charlotte and right on into Monroe.  We decided to stop here for the night.  We pulled in about 9:00pm...What a LONG day.  Did I mention that the majority of the road we were on was 35-55mph?  Or how about the long switch back roads?  We probably went about 20-25 on those, although the limit was 35.  I think my conclusion of today is that people from NC are a little crazy. :)

The one thing that dad and I did see, all the way here, has been this crazy long growing ivy.  It looks like God took a huge net of ivy and just draped it all over the place.
This was taken at a McDonalds...can you imagine what it looks like in the wild? :)
Alright friends...a few other updates not regarding our travels.  Ellis is somewhere in the middle east...we aren't quite sure yet.  The last I heard from him was last night.  He was still at the transition point.  He asked me not to specifically say where, but I can tell you he was in a country with the last part of the name "stan"  Yes, I realize that half of the countries there are like that...but thats all I can say for now. 

The other update is a prayer request for my friend Jana.  She delivered her twin boys last night at 35 weeks.  One of them is now resting in the arms of our Savior. Cohen is in the NICU.  Please pray for strength, comfort, and health for their family during this time.  Thank you so much!

I'm looking forward to seeing Braden and Maria tomorrow, and meeting my new little niece.  I hope you all have a great night! 
 God bless
-B 
p.s. sorry about the spelling mitsakes :) my spell check wasn't working :) :) :)  We all know I spell like a 1st grader! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment